Wednesday, February 23, 2011

island in the sun





As this trip is coming to an end, and sadness overwhelms me, thoughts of tying myself to the banyan tree in protest of leaving seems just dramatic enough.

I would just like to say, it was amazing!



Love, hiking, and ocean play filled the days.





watching giant, gorgeous whales quickly became one of my favorite past times.
Fins, tails, and bellies, sailing through the air
proving it is their water, and it is they who are letting us swim.


sunkissed husband.
we both felt the effects of winter skin
becoming suddenly bared.
his back, and my bum
were both victims.


a marriage tree.
life here does not die. it falls, helpless into the arms of another,
and from there continues to grow.
roots exposed, arms heavy, it fuses to a stronger life.
i learn from these trees, and fuse my exposed parts
into the arms of my love.


i am a tippy tree, atop a mountain.

i must have eaten 10 of these shave ices.
flavored ice,
watching k play in the ocean,
and whales,
are all things i didn't know i could be so fond of.
hawaii, you've taught me happiness is sitting still
watching.


snorkeling!



i have fallen in love with a jungle.
branches, leaves, vines
the sounds of crickets
and birds surrounding me.
everywhere there is entangled life,
everywhere there are trees.
it will all continue, it needs nothing from us
it is beautiful.



an afternoon spent on this beach.
men catching fish,
and k climbing.


my love of giant leaves has found a home.

hidden treasures in the sand.
beaches we called our own.


Sunset surfing for my man. Proving, once more, he is good at everything.


We spent the evenings lounging on the beach, the smell of the ocean intertwined with that of fish cooking on the grill, pineapple freshly cut, and my husband cooking without shoes.

I have loved it here more than my lexicon is able to express. This place will remain in my heart, and I will return, hopefully sooner rather than later.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, it's gorgeous. It's impossible to pick a favorite place, isn't it? I love them all.

    ReplyDelete