Tuesday, April 13, 2010

does it count as an epic

...if it's only salt lake?

For the anniversary, K and I want to slc to....climb. shocking. what we did not know was the climbing in salt lake, is much more difficult than the climbing anywhere else.

and so, a touch hungover, (me) and a touch excited (kaleb) we tried out a 3 pitch 5.7. easy right? no, that would be incorrect.

let me begin by saying hungover climbing, is not fun. in fact, that "i just want to vomit and nap" feeling, is more intense the higher you get off the ground. So, at about, oh 70 ft, it was uncomfortable. At 170 ft, it was magically gone. apparently getting really really scared, and thinking you're going to die, is a great hangover cure.

try it, it'll work.

And that easy 5.7 route, was one of the hardest multi-pitch climbs I have ever done. As it traversed, on the third pitch, over nothing, and a great roof gave the only undercling holds, and feet slipped on nothing. oh and the off-width, I forgot the off-width. too large for gear, to narrow for a chimney. Just shoving my body into an uncomfortable jam, and then getting stuck. 5.7 my ass.

And then the 5.10a. oh what a pretty little crack, it will do nicely. It wasn't a crack, it was a seam. an overhanging seam. without any feet. not pretty. Kaleb led it. I have no idea how. It was the first climb in a very long time, that I couldn't make up. And I've lead 5.10's people.

He tried again on toprope. And looking at the placements, looking at the lack of jams, the lack of feet, said "hmm...I have no idea how I made it up that." Me either buddy. must have been an out of body experience.

Ben came too. And somehow he also climbed that ugly little crack.

So, as an anniversary gift, my husband gave me, 200ft of scared out of my mind, and 90ft of, what the hell is this. Thanks baby.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! was it a slick-willy sort of climb, too? cuz we've had a lot of rain/snow lately in them thar hills. i'm glad you made it down ready to tell the tale!

    ReplyDelete