Monday, March 1, 2010

driving away from sun


kaleb

jen

note: ben and i did climb, regardless of the lack of photographic documentation


The plan was to go to Massacre, spend the day blissfully in the sun, while climbing on black rocks, making it that much warmer.

sometimes things don't go as planned.

Instead we drove two hours, away from the sun, and into yet another foggy, cloudy, and rainy day. (Idaho, you're beginning to disappoint me) Ah, such is life as a climber. Sometimes the weather is simply not on your side.

So, we met up with our good friends Ben and Jen Quick. Who also informed us, "strange it was sunny in Poecatello" Yes, we know guys, thanks.

To all you who climb, I'm not telling where this wonderful place is for two reasons 1. I would like to keep it all to myself because I'm selfish. 2. I have no idea. we made plenty of turns, and I became thoroughly lost.

But, while the sun hates me, and the hike for two miles in sand was a bit rough. The rock was once again perfect. The interesting thing about Massacre, is the start of the climb. Which are always very difficult. Getting off the ground and actually having that first good foot hold nearly impossible. Nearly. Ben and Kaleb have a slightly easier time, given their upper body strength, and their length. Jen and I made it much harder than it needed to be. But, bonus, the tops of the climbs were these technical crimpers, and tiny footholds, requiring major balance and footwork. We happened to be much better at this part than the guys. So, in all, something for everyone.

After another mile or so, and a new wall, K did an 11a. I, being in a positive happy state, blatantly said "oh, that looks impossible". Miss Sunshine. To prove me wrong his sailed up it. Looking strong, relaxed, and beautiful. amazing. Later Ben, proving his prowess at climbing, worked a 10a into submission. It had no handholds, no footholds, and it was long. go ben.

As the temperature drooped through the day, those beautiful black rocks became little evil knives. And my climbing shoes torture chambers. So I did not climb as much as I would have liked. Plus, I was angry with the clouds. They seemed to not care.

No comments:

Post a Comment