Tuesday, June 7, 2011

i know you all lie

so, i've been reading a lot of home make-over/re-do blogs lately, and i've decided (along with the help of my sister) that you people are full or it. or have a serious crack addiction. let me give you a little sample of the writing on these blogs "i am a mother of two WONDERFUL twin boys and one FANTASTIC girl, wife of the GREATEST husband in the universe, and i LOVE LOVE decorating, remodeling, cooking and generally making others gag. now, let me show you how i've remodeled my 5000 sqft home on a very tight budget"

right.

follow up with before pictures of a giant seemingly fine space, and after pictures of the "vintage" remodel for only $1000. everything straight from the pottery barn catalog.
then of course they all have pictures of their fantastic husbands doing much of the manual labor, and smiling like goons for the camera.

let me tell you, i'm not buying what you're selling.

i have a husband, he is generally fine (ok more than fine, but i don't want to sound like them) and whenever he has ever done any projects, he is not smiling. mostly he is swearing, asking where i put his hammer, and threatening to throw the whole thing into the river.
i think this is more realistic.

i am also childless. so i don't have a real sense of how people with kids are. but, i know people with kids, i even have a sister who has twins, and let me tell ya, while her twins are napping she is not reupholstering a chair. she is taking giant breaths of quiet air, and telling herself she will survive. (just wait until they're teenagers!)

so, ladies, with your picture perfect families, and your pottery barn mini mansions, (and your hard core crack addiction) have a wonderful time re-doing what has already been done. i am going climbing.

and just for good measure, here is my bedroom, now, you can all have nightmares about how un-vintage it is.


and yes, that is a dog bed and toy on my floor. gasp.

editors note: this realization has not stopped me from browsing these blogs, it has simply made me not feel bad about my lack of creative luster, and redecoration ambition.

1 comment:

  1. LOL!! Amen. Cute bed. I can't pull off white anywhere in my life really...too many "real" kids with real hands and real mud on their shoes from all the digging in the dirt we do. Way to call the crackheads on it!

    ReplyDelete