Tuesday, August 16, 2011

smoke on the water

have i ever told you about my youth?

i grew up on the water, behind a boat.
my family spent the summers on the lake. any lake.
i belong in water.

i, all of us really, started skiing at a very young age. tiny people learning the ski behind a very big boat with a wake taller than us.
the water smoked in the morning, as smooth as glass
and i always went first.
some things never change.






i cannot tell you how happy it makes me to be on the boat again.
to water-ski, my sisters around me, sweet baby hadley experiencing it for the first time.
my mom.
my dad.
these are the times that i love my family the very most, total unadulterated fun.
my dad, i can't even express how my dad is during these time, how he's always been. he loves it too. and he makes it perfect. he brought along lox and bagels, his giant smile as each of his girls jumped into the water, and even after a couple of years not skiing, stood up and cut into the wake. having that perfect baby on his lap, showing her all the buttons on the boat.

even as a teenager, the type that didn't want anything to do with her parents. (i was far too cool in my young body) i spent time with my dad on that boat. always down to go, always first on the ski.
these are some of my best memories


it was the perfect way to start the day,
and i didn't stop smiling all day.








No comments:

Post a Comment