Tuesday, February 2, 2010

shoes


Let us take a moment and talk about shoes. I have a certain affinity for shoes, as any girl does, I only bring this up because last night I (Kaleb) re-laced my brand new La Sportiva Mythos. Now normally this sort of up keep on a climbing shoe is necessary -even required at times- but these shoes are brand new. By which I mean they have been climbed in a half dozen times. Clearly I climb, alot, and train, alot, but I don't use these shoes, because I love them, and I want to keep the edges sharp (I'm pretty sure it helps), these are my crack specific shoes. And don't bother bringing up the "breaking in period" because I know, and I still like them new. The mythos have laces, and there in lays the problem.

A little lesson....when crack climbing one puts their foot into a crack sideways and twists, and stands on their own wedged foot. This can wear out laces (I have other problems with laces but we will save that for a later post).

I'm sure La Sportiva has reasons for the laces, such as, they are lower profile, thus making sticking ones foot into a tiny crack, possible. Maybe velcro would open if jammed hard enough against a rock. Nevertheless, now my laces do not match.

No comments:

Post a Comment